No real topic today. I’m just sharing some of the good things happening right now.
– School starts in a few weeks and my daughter is very excited. I guess sleeping in and going on field trips with her friends at day camp just isn’t cutting it anymore. One of her best friends is switching to her school this year, so that just adds an extra layer of excitement. She is already planning – with a cohort—how to make this a smooth transition for the friend. Since she acts so much like a ten-year-old girl most of the time, I forgot how sweet she can be.
– Speaking of school, all supplies and uniform updates have been purchased. Yay! This is the first year since Kindergarten I have been on top of things. Last year we had to go to three different stores to find everything we needed because I waited too long to go shopping and it was all picked over. I talked her out of the One Direction lunch box. It was hard – the “what happens when you don’t like them anymore” argument doesn’t work on her because (in her world) she will love them until her dying day and will have “Directioner” inscribed on her tombstone.
– The little man just got his first ever bath chair. And he loves it! Really, loves it is an understatement; he thinks it is the best thing to ever set foot in our house in his three and a half years of existence. I can understand his excitement – the chair is big and comes with a chest strap, so he actually has some freedom to play in the water for the very first time. He can spend twenty minutes just kicking his legs around. The only downside – he throws a
little significant fit when it is time to get out.
– Another piece of equipment for the little man: we brought his chair home from daycare. We already leave his wheelchair and stander at school, so he has plenty to sit/play in there. He was a little flummoxed when my husband put the chair in the car. It didn’t help that he wanted to sit in that chair instead of his car seat. The little man is pretty territorial and likes to stay in control of his things; he didn’t appreciate being denied. I’m not sure if the dog appreciates the new chair. It is at a higher level and has wheels, so the little man can move it around a bit. The dog is going to have to get out of the habit of sitting just out of reach and staring at him.
– I am heading to New Orleans this month for a work conference. Even though it is going to be ridiculously hot and uncomfortable, I’m really looking forward to it. Not only do I get to talk shop with a new group of people, I get to enjoy the city and break away from my routine for a while. Who doesn’t love that?! I may eat my way across the French Quarter. Plus, think of all the people-watching opportunities! New Orleans is one of the best people-watching cities, I think.
– Even though I feel like I have a lot going on this month, my calendar is filling up at a slower rate than usual. I’m going to try to sit back and enjoy this a bit. Part of the reason behind this is the end of my term on my local Junior League board. It is amazing how much taking a step back from that leadership position has changed my level of busyness. No complaints here – I need the break!